If you’re studying this HTC Desire S review to peer how a lot it differs from the unique Desire, you’re in excellent corporate – it’s certainly one of the causes I’m writing it! We have already got the Desire HD and Incredible S from HTC, whilst the unique Desire continues to be on sale. So the place does the new Desire S have compatibility into HTC’s plans, and extra importantly, is it excellent sufficient to shop for?
Only one method to in finding out – review!
HTC Desire S Overview
The HTC Desire S is a new 1GHz Android Gingerbread phone that follows firmly in the footsteps of its elder brother, the unique Desire. When first introduced early final yr, the Desire (which used to be simply a re-skinned Google Nexus One) used to be for a very long time the maximum feature-packed Android phone round.
Its mixture of fantastic options, stunning HTC Sense consumer interface, snappy responsiveness and light-weight weight set the benchmark for all Android telephones to overcome.
With the new Desire S, even though, its purpose is now not to be the King of Android smartphones; somewhat, it’s to be a particularly competent – and reasonably priced – mid-range Android phone that’s been touched up a bit, and given some superb new little tweaks.
The result’s a refreshed model of an outdated vintage (and via outdated, I imply bearly 12 months outdated!) that’s been introduced bang up-to-date and is a critically excellent discount.
It would possibly not problem the likes of the dual-core Motorola Atrix and Samsung Galaxy S II for the name of best possible Android smartphone, but it surely’s definitely going to take some beating on the subject of worth for cash.
Things you’ll love about the HTC Desire S
Here are the headline options of the Desire S that make it such a excellent deal:
- Next-gen 1GHz Snapdragon processor is 30% sooner than that utilized in the unique Desire
- Updated HTC Sense consumer interface is now the slickest cell interface on the marketplace
- Class-leading Web browser offers a complete desktop surfing enjoy, whole with HTML5, CSS3 and whole Flash fortify
- Runs the newest model of Android (Gingerbread, model 2.four), which is super-fast and bug-free
- Connect different gadgets to the Internet via the Desire S, which is able to act as a cell WiFi hotspot
- Perfect proportions, with a three.7″ display and a easy aluminium unibody design
- Capture your recollections with a five megapixel autofocus digicam with Power LED flash
- Make video calls with its 1.three megapixel front-facing digicam
- Great video recording talents, with a 720p HD camcorder
- Super-fast HSDPA tech will provide you with obtain speeds of 14.4Mbps over your 3G community
- Even sooner Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n
- Store masses of apps because of its 768MB of inner RAM
- Store 1000’s of tunes with its microSD slot that may take 48GB microSD playing cards
- Large 1450mAh battery method you don’t have to fret about recharging
- All the sensors you’d be expecting from an Android software, together with GPS, proximity detector, virtual compass, ambient mild sensor and accelerometer.
See what I imply? Every spotlight of the unique Desire has been given a polish, leading to a phone that, for the cash, merely has no competition.
Where does the Desire S have compatibility into HTC’s new circle of relatives of telephones?
If you cross for your on-line cell phone retailer, you’ll in finding the following 4 HTC telephones on sale:
- HTC Desire
- HTC Desire S
- HTC Desire HD
- HTC Incredible S
The photograph beneath, from SlashGear, displays, from left to proper, the Desire HD, the Incredible S and Desire S side-by-side.
Apart from the confusingly equivalent names, the place do all of them have compatibility in with each and every different?
Here’s the place:
- HTC Desire – the unique super-phone with a 1GHz Snapdragon processor that’s a era at the back of the different 3 telephones, and so is kind of 30% slower. A really perfect phone nonetheless, however now a bit lengthy in the enamel. Fortunately, this implies it’s now to be had at a knock down price.
- HTC Desire S – HTC’s latest mid-range phone, it has the more moderen 1GHz processor, two cameras (a five megapixel and a 1.three megapixel), a polished consumer interface and Android Gingerbread.
- HTC Desire HD – nonetheless HTC’s flagship phone, it’s were given the greatest display of the 4 telephones right here (at four.three″), an eight megapixel digicam, the identical processor as the Desire S, however no front-facing digicam.
- HTC Incredible S – a quite changed Desire HD, it’s were given a smaller display (four″), a front-facing digicam and a better battery.
As you’ll see, the names are complicated, and the telephones themselves are as smartly, as there’s no longer that a lot to choose from them.
To allow you to out, you’ll learn my hands-on HTC Desire HD review, my Incredible S review, which compares the Incredible S to the Desire HD, and naturally this Desire S review. And if that also hasn’t helped you, simply turn a coin!
Video evaluations of the HTC Desire S
To see the Desire S in motion, take a look at those movies:
Should you purchase the Desire S?
I frequently get requested via buddies what phone I like to recommend, and ahead of I will resolution, I at all times ask what form of phone they would like, what options are necessary to them, the measurement of the phone they’re after, and what they’re ready to pay for it.
In the previous, if ever my buddies have stated they’ve sought after a medium sized phone that makes use of Android, however which doesn’t value up to the high-end telephones, I’ve at all times needed to compromise a bit. Android telephones round the £20 a month mark have at all times been underpowered and have a tendency to make use of the inventory Android consumer interface.
Those that don’t, akin to the HTC Wildfire, skimp on options, akin to the digicam.
Now, even though, I’ve a new champion – the HTC Desire S.
Its function set is healthier than final yr’s top-end flagship smartphones, so there’s no drawback there. It runs the very newest model of Android, so it’s bang up to the moment. It’s as rapid as the Desire HD, has a logo new consumer interface that in reality does shine, and provides all the nifty options of Android we’ve come to like.
And it suits proper in the price-range of people that don’t wish to pay £35 a month for a top-end phone.
In different phrases, it’s the highest mix of flagship phone without the flagship price.
So if you wish to have a cracking smartphone however you don’t wish to pay via the nostril, take a look at the HTC Desire S offers which are on be offering now.